Read this article to know about Holkar Dynasty family tree, Malhar Rao family tree in Hindi, Ahilyabai Holkar family tree in Marathi, Holkar Dynasty, Photos, Images etc.
Holkar name originates from the people living in Hol or Hal village in Deccan. Here we will discuss about the rulers of Holkar dynasty based around present Indore city of Madhya Pradesh. Holkar dynasty was founded by Malhar Rao Holkar who was a soldier in Maratha Army and made his position as Subedar in Maratha Army is a very little time. He founded Holkar dynasty around 1727 under the leadership of Peshwa Bajirao I. This famous & prestigious dynasty hold its place in Indian history becuase of its leaders like Malhar Rao Holkar, Devi Ahilyabai Holkar, Tukoji Holkar, Malhar Rao Holkar II, Tukoji Rao Holkar II & many others. Here in this article, we will discuss about chronology of Holkar dynasty in detail including Holkar dynasty family tree & its rulers generation chart. Out of all Holkar rulers, Malhar Rao Holkar & Ahilyabai Holkar are most renowned names from this dynasty and we will know about them in detail.
Holkar Dynasty Family Tree & Chronology:
As we have mentioned earlier in our article that Holkar dynasty was established by Malhar Rao Holkar in 1727 and its rules ruled the area around present Indore till the independence of India. Here we are providing the Holkar Dynasty family chart to understand the chronology of Holkar dynasty in detail.
Now we will discuss about important rulers of this dynasty in detail.
Holkar Dynasty Founder- Malhar Rao Holkar Family Tree
- Malhar Rao Holkar is the ruler who founded Holkar dynasty under the protection of Maratha Peshwa Baji Rao I.
- Malhar Rao Holkar joined Maratha Army around 1724 & Peshwas Baji Rao I gave him command of 500 horses but he gained the position of Subedar of Malwa region very soon .
- Malhar Rao Holkar helped Peshwas Baji Rao I to get the nearby areas of Indore and Malhar Rao was posted to collect Chauth & Sardeshmukhi taxes in that area by Peshwa Baji Rao I.
- He also started to construct his royal palace in 1747.
- At the time of third battle of Panipat, Ahmed Shah Abdali overpowers Peshwas and their powers weakened, Malhar Rao Holkar announced Rajbada or Indore as independent state of Holkars.
- Malhar Rao Holkar got died in 1767.
Malhar Rao’s Son: Khanderao Holkar
Khanderao Holkar was son of Malhar Rao Holkar, founder of Holkar dynasty but he got died at a very young age in a battle. Khanderao Holkar got died twelve years before death of Malhar Rao Holkar.
Male Rao Holkar: Second Ruler of Holkar Dynasty
Male Rao Holkar was grandson of Malhar Rao Holkar and he was son of Ahilyabai Holkar and Khanderao Holkar. He became the second ruler of Holkar dynasty in 1766 but he was also got died after some time in 1767.
Ahilyabai Holkar Family Tree: Most Renowned Holkar Ruler
- After death of son Malerao Holkar, Ahilyabai Holkar became the next ruler of Holkar dynasty by getting the permission of Peshwa.
- She ruled the Holkar dynasty from 1767 to 1795 and she got fame & recognition for her philanthropy tasks throughout India.
- She became a model ruler and she was assisted by Tukoji Rao Holkar who was commander of Holkar Army.
- Tukoji Rao Holkar was adopted by Malhar Rao Holkar.
- Ahilybai Holkar was very popular among public because she was accessible very easily to public and she favours justice.
- She also shifted her capital to Maheshwar at the bank of Narmada.
- Her contribution to develop architecture throughout India was unforgettable. She constructed Kashi Vishweshwar Temple, Varanasi.
- She also constructed several Dharamshalas & charitable trusts throughout India.
- She also developed a textile industry in nearby region of Maheshwar.
- She got died in Maheshwar and a Mousoleum dedicated to Devi Ahilyabai was built.
Tukoji Rao Holkar:
After the death of Rani Ahilyabai, Tukoji Rao was declared as next Holkar ruler in 1795. He ruled over present Indore for a short span of time and got died in 1797.
Jaswant Rao Holkar:
- After death of ruler Tukoji Rao Holkar, Jaswant Rao Holkar became next ruler of Holkar dynasty in 1798.
- He was a brave leader and skilled in Guerilla fight. He also fought second Anglo-Maratha War and tried to free mughal emperor, Shar Alam II.
- Later, mughal emperor, Shah Alam gave him the title of Maharajadiraj Rajrajeshwar Alija Bahadur for his act of bravery.
- Treaty of Rajpur Ghat was signed between Jaswant Rao Holkar and british commanders.
- He got died in 1811.
Malhar Rao Holkar II & Tukoji Rao Holkar II:
- After death of Jaswant Rao Holkar, Malhar Rao Holkar became the successor of Jaswant Rao Holkar in 1811.
- Under his rule, he fought third Anglo-Maratha war and battle of Mahidpur more specifically but he got defeated by british rule.
- Then he made a treaty of Mandsaur and a british resident was stationed at Indore to co-rule the region.
- Tukoji Rao Holkar became the ruler of Holkar II dynasty in 1844 and ruled the state till 1886.
- Now Indore was the official capital of Holkars.
Other Holkar Rulers:
Tukoji Rao Holkar was also known for construction of some historical monuments which lays the foundation of modern Indore. Under his rule, railway line between Khandwa & Indore was built. He also constructed M.T.H Hospital, Kila & Shiv Vilas palace. Another ruler Shivaji Rao Holkar ruled from 1886 to 1903 and also known for construction of Holkar Science College. Tukoji Rao Holkar III remained the ruler form 1903 to 1826 and he was known for building High Court, Gandhi Hall, Moti Bunglow. Last known official rulerof Holkar dynasty was Yashwant Rao Rao Holkar who ruled till independence of India in 1947. Holkar dynasty then merged to Madhya Pradesh state of Independant India.
We hope all the information provided here about Holkar dynasty family tree & chronology will be full of interesting facts and knowledge for all our readers.